Monday, May 30, 2011

Tales of a Nail Novice & NOTD

Tales of a Nail Novice:

I'm hopeless at nails. Completely hopeless. Of all things beauty related, this is my Achilles heel. It all started when I was employed for my first ever after school job (McDonalds Chermside), my first pay check was spent on a set of acrylic nails and since then (a good 8 years) I've worn them non-stop.

Needless to say, my nails are a complete mess. The acrylic has caused them to be weak, peel and crack easily and make the most gorgeous nail polish look like pig's mud. So when my Sally Hansen package arrived jam packed with nail strengthening, cuticle softening goodies I squealed like a.... pig in mud (see what I did there?!). Please see the post below about everything I was grateful enough to win.

So here is a pic of my first ever NOTD. You can see how cracked/short/horrible they are and how much further they need to go. Please also take note of the AH-MAZING Sally Hansen colour "Commander In Chic". I'm worshiping this shade for Autumn/Winter- completely in love.

Commander In Chic


If you have any tips on how I can improve my nail health, please let me know! I really need your wise words and guidance :)

Keep it Haute!

Anni xox

10 comments:

  1. jdflasjdflasjfaiuaisfjasjf I need this colour in my life

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely colour!! I recently stopped biting my nails and could not get them to grow out, they were so brittle they just kept cracking :( Definitely recommend OPI original nail envy, it's such an awesome product for strengthening natural nails. Oh, and lots of cuticle oil/creme before bed :) Best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh lovely colour and perfect for the colder months!

    Alright, nail health. Firstly, good choice to remove the acrylics! Your nails will grow nice and healthy, they just need time :)

    A nail hardener like ORLY Nail Defense or as mentioned above, OPI Nail Envy will really help strengthen your nails :)

    It's also important to keep your nails filed, glass/crystal files are amazing, and always file in one direction, never back and forth like you're sawing wood!

    Cuticles need to be loved and moisturised to help keep your nails healthy and to promote nail growth :) I use LUSH's Lemony Flutter, as well as CND Cuticle Eraser and general hand cream. There's some great cuticle help here: http://www.lacquerized.com/2010/05/how-to-happy-cuticles.html

    Most of all, be patient! I was a 15 year nail biter and getting out of the habit was one of the hardest things to do, but definitely rewarding! Side note: that's how I got into nail blogging, I found that if my nails were painted, I wouldn't bite them! Ta dah!

    I hope this helped :D Feel free to ask me about nail things anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't own this but I love this colour, it's definitely on my wishlist. I love how it looks grey, khaki or brown in different lighting. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. My nails used to rip all the time (from work and etc) now I just apply gel on top of my natural nail!
    I absolutely love that color! It's like a perfect milk/dark milk chocolate.. I NEED! lol!
    xx
    B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh you are stronger than I am.
    I couldn't give up my nails.
    I think I would give up salon hair colours before I gave up my acrylics.

    I did a NOTD too - inspired by last nights storm.
    www.dreamingofverona.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all your support and wise words! I'm really loving this colour too!
    I'm taking on all of your advice so hopefully I'll have amazing nails like you ladies! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous colour ...and perfect for winter..:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe.. I have the same color in my collection;) great minds think alike! re: nails health. Vitamins!!! Annica, get Blackmores "Hair, nails and skin" (I think this is the correct name). Visible improvement in 2 weeks. I also tried hardeners, creams, etc... vitamins are the way more effective.
    xoxo
    MV
    http://crashingred.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog :) If you have any advice, questions, or just like to chat, please leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...