Thursday, June 9, 2011

Tales if a Nail Novice- Shellac Manicure

And so another Tale of the Nail Novice begins.

Last Wednesday when I was getting my hair done, I noticed out of the corner of my eye the bright flash of a UV light... My head turned and I was very pleased to see SHELLAC MANICURES HAD ARRIVED AT MY SALON! HOORAY!

What is Shellac you say? Well, Jacie from You've Got Nail has done an AMAZING tutorial explaining all there is to know about this new phenomenal type of polish.




What Was My Experience like?
After pouring over the colour choices, I chose a deep, sexy red called "Hollywood" with the pretence that it will go with anything I wear. I'm chuffed to say that it does! Here it is:
I've done this nifty colour splash effect so you can see how nice the colour is. You can also see that "WHOOPSIES" that occured :\


In normal light.



I'm not really amazed/impressed/happy with this manicure. I'm not sure if the beauty therapist was just learning and not fully competent at applying the lacquer but it's turned out gloopy, lumpy and uneven. There are splotches around the cuticle which I can't stop staring at- they are mocking me with their imperfection.

AND after one week, I've already got peeling and chipping:


I honestly don't know how this has happened but it has. I'm a little let down and expected better, but maybe the condition of my nails caused the peeling and chipping. If anyone knows please tell me.

I don't think I'll pay the $69 to get this again. If I'm going to spend that much I'd prefer getting my acrylics back on. I also change my mind one million times a minute so two weeks with the same colour polish is driving me insane.

Have any of you had a Shellac manicure? What did you think? Will you get it done?

For all your Shellacing needs, visit the CND Shellac website.

Also, guys, can I file my nails when they have polish on?

Keep it Haute!

Anni xox

8 comments:

  1. wow $69, that is a lot! since im a hairdresser and my hands are conatantly in water i find i need to keep acrylics on. Ive never heard of a shellac manicure so i might go and check out 'you've got nail's' post
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you pay me $20 and I'll do your nails :p It's a nice red, but a week and your thumb chipping like mad let alone the goopy-ness is a massive let down. And no don't file your nails with polish on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had a Shellac mani done before, but this definitely sounds like operator error from the reviews i've seen on other blogs :/. Some people file their nails with polish on because they find it helps them see the shape better http://www.alllacqueredup.com/2007/11/nail-tip-of-week-filing.html
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. It could be the condition of your nails, but I would probably put it down to her inexperience if it was uneven and "bumpy" surely she buffed and prepped them first?
    As for the chipping, did she wrap the nail? [run the brush along the top of the nail] If not I would suspect that was the reason.

    I get bored way to easily to have a shellac mani but am considering attempting them at home.
    I would suggest you buy some Seche Vite top coat - you should easily get 5-6 days (if not more) of a colour before chipping

    Great post as always

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww no! i've been wanting to try out shellac for yonks think i'll stay away, plus I change my nail polish twice a week yes I'm a little tart heheheh!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good review, I'm a naily virgin, never had acrylics or gels or shellac, though I'd like to give them all a whirl eventually for curiosity's sake :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh!!! This should NOT have happened at all! The Shellac is supposed to last more than 2 weeks on the nails, I had my toes Shellac'd and it lasted on them perfectly for 2 months!!! This is definitely an error by the nail technician. If you are willing to give CND Shellac another go... please ask me who to go to. I have a great place you can go to get it done (and for way cheaper!). And you know you can paint nail polish over the top of shellac right? You just have to make sure to use non-acetone remover to remove the nail polish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear...

    That's not right!

    Firstly, I paid $35 for my shellac mani, and secondly, it lasted for over 2 weeks and the only reason I removed it was becuase my nails had grown so much.

    Your tech wasn't experienced and/or your nails weren't in the right condition for the shellac- which is still a tech error if you ask me, the tech should have warned you!

    Don't be discouraged.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog :) If you have any advice, questions, or just like to chat, please leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...