*Takes deep breath*
Ok.
I’m going to write about something which has plagued and embarrassed me since my adolescent years… and I hope I can help anyone who is in this situation. You are not alone.
I’m a sweater. And not your everyday “light sheen on the brow” kind of sweater, no, this is much more deliberating than that. Here’s my story:
I remember the first time I sweated under my arms. Seriously. I was in Grade 5 and walking to the loo when I caught a whiff of something smelly under my arms. I was horrified! Completely embarrassed. For thing that came to mind was “How long have I smelt like this!? Who smelt me!?” In hindsight I honestly don’t think anyone would have noticed but it still scared the life out of me. From that day on I used deodorant every day.
The problem got worse when I started high school. It may have been because I was stressed due to the new phase in my life or my hormones going crazy, but my underarms started to perspire like Niagara Falls. No matter how much deo I would wear, I’d sweat! I wore a white blouse as my uniform and remember the fabric going see-through due to all the sweat. I didn’t have little dainty marks either. No, these were humongous disastrous stains that would sometimes travel down past my bra line- no joke.
Could you imagine the utter embarrassment I would feel every day!? This problem stopped me from raising my hand to answer a lesson in class, I wouldn’t participate in sporting activities and refused to do anything that would reveal my terrible secret. I felt like everyone talked about my issue behind my back and became incredibly insecure and withdrawn.
I remember the day I broke down to my mum and begged for help. We were at the Gold Coast with my family and I was wearing a yellow sleeveless top (I only wore sleeveless to hide the sweat stains). It was a particularly hot day and as expected I was sweating like no tomorrow. I was absolutely distraught because my sweat stains went down to my waist. Completely beside myself. I remember exactly what I said to mum- “Look at this! LOOK! This isn’t normal! PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!”. She looked at the stains, eyes widened and calmly said “We can fix it”.
Since then I have started using “Driclor”- a product that stops sweat production from occurring. It’s like a roll on deodorant that you put on at night, once every couple of days. From that day on I was a changed person. I stopped sweating! I could play sport, raise my hand, talk to boys! I could wear nice tops and not worry about the heat! It’s only now do I realise how much I was held back due to my problem and how much stress it was giving me.
Anyone out there who suffers from this problem (not often spoken about), I want you to know you are NOT alone. You DON’T need to suffer. There IS help. I’ve lived through it and come out the other side with confidence! You CAN lead a “normal” life!
Please take care and know you are beautiful.
Love,
Anni

OMG I'm super sweaty too, my sister uses Driclor too, but I'm too much of a scaredy cat (I have antiperspirant paranoia) Glad to hear it works for you though :)
ReplyDeleteI find that antiperspirants make me sweat heaps more!! So I avoid using deodorant most of the time. I find I sweat less when I don't use one. The only time I do use it is when I know I'll be sweaty and getting stinky, and before the gym.
ReplyDeleteHave you tried that Rexona Clinical Protection roll on? My sister used it and says it so much better than antiperspirant spray. You put it on the night before.